Colorado Patient Navigator Training
April 23-26, 2013
Improve your navigation skills in one week! This comprehensive "Level 1" training includes patient communication, health promotion, professional conduct and motivational interviewing. Don‘t miss this opportunity to network with other navigators!
Bridging Theory and Practice: Applying Health Behavior change
April 16-17, 2013
Learn about social science theories related to client behavior change.
Intermediate Motivational Interviewing
August 9, 2013
This course builds on the concepts and basic skills learned in Patient Navigator Fundamentals.
News & Resources
Need training in Spanish?
Managers, Supervisors or Administrators: We would like to know if your program needs patient navigator training in Spanish. Please complete this survey and send the link to your colleagues.
Take survey in English
Take survey in Spanish
Chart Your Own Course.
The Colorado Patient Navigator Training Program offers a full curriculum designed to build patient navigator skills and knowledge. Courses and workshops relate to issues navigators deal with every day and are taught by patient navigation experts. A variety of formats make it easy to incorporate training into a navigator’s busy schedule. Formats include:
- Face-to-face workshops
- Online courses
- Self-paced online tutorials
- Special-topic webinars
Who is the training for?
Level 1 and Level 2 courses are for patient navigators, social workers, nurses and community healthcare workers who want a basic understanding of issues and practices related to patient navigation. Choose the right course level for you. See the Training Model.
What is a patient navigator?
A patient navigator is a member of the healthcare team who helps patients "navigate" the healthcare system and get timely care. Navigators work with patients to identify their barriers to healthcare and connect them to the resources they may need such as financial assistance, counseling, language translation or transportation. Learn about patient navigator careers in the Training & Career FAQ.
Free Tutorials: Just for Navigators!
These free self-paced tutorials can help you learn more about patient navigation and chronic disease:
- Patient Navigation and the Healthcare System Get an overview and history of patient navigation. Learn how patient navigation reduces health disparities and improves treatment for chronic diseases.
- Preventive Healthcare 101 Find out what factors help prevent or put us as risk for disease and how to encourage clients to form healthy habits.
- Introduction to the Healthcare System Learn the basics of healthcare systems, insurance, healthcare team members, ethics and the law.
- Chronic Disease Overview Learn about the most common chronic diseases, mental illnesses and how to recognize and help a client in crisis.
Courses related to research studies:
- Clinical Trials and Patient Navigation Get an overview of clinical trials and learn how to help patients join or stay in a clinical trial.
- HIV-related Cancer Research Studies Learn about HIV-related cancers and research studies, how to help patients decide whether to join or not join a research study, and how to address barriers so patients are able to join or stay in a research study.
Ask-A-Navigator is one of our a listservs used by navigators to connect to each other. A listserv is like an email list where members can contact each other using a singe email address. Once you join Ask-a-Navigator you can email a question to other navigators at:
In your email, include a meaningful subject line and use plain text for your message. File attachments are discouraged. Learn more or join the listserv.