Introduction to the Healthcare System
Hospitals, clinic and community health agencies can be very different from other work environments. Healthcare systems are complex and there are many things you need to know about types of hospital systems, patient care, insurance, healthcare providers and legal issues. This tutorial will help you learn basic healthcare concepts so you can be successful on the job and understand the system.
Why do you need to understand the healthcare system?
You need to know about the healthcare system so you can be effective on the job. The image below shows the different groups you will be working with. As you work with the healthcare team, you will need to know about hospital systems, types of care, and the roles of each member of the healthcare team. As you work with patients, you will need to understand different types of insurance, how to help uninsured patients and how to protect patient rights and privacy. You also need to know what community resources are available and how to access those services for patients.
After you complete the tutorial, you will be able to:
- Describe the differences between private, public and non-profit hospital systems
- Define types of patient care including primary care, specialty care and emergency care
- Explain how insurance works
- Identify types of private insurance plans and public insurance programs
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of various members of the healthcare team
- Describe the Patient Bill of Rights
- Explain why it is important to follow HIPAA guidelines and protect patient information
- List things you can do to protect patient health information